Monday, February 16, 2009

The (crochet) Blanket of Rassilon

Another Doctor Who inspired project...still in progress. I have never done this type of colorwork in crochet before, so the first few rows of the seal were trial and error. I think I have the technique down now, and it is going really smoothly.

I took the Seal of Rassilon image and charted it out on graph paper...(my sharpie died on me, so the coloring isn't the best, LOL)

rasillongraph

The work in progress...I have 20 active balls of yarn going right now!!

100_0140
I'm using worsted weight yarns and an H hook...
Yarns in colorways...Caron One Pound in Taupe; Red Heart Ltd. Super Saver Solids in Claret; Red Heart Ltd. Super Saver Solids in Aran; TLC Essentials Solid in Dark Brown; TLC Heathers in Nutmeg.

Updates to follow as it progresses!!


COLOR CHANGING TIPS!!!(THIS IS FOR SINGLE CROCHET)

colorchangeinnextst
1>>>The color change happens in the next stitch...

colorchangepullupnewcolor1
2>>>drop old color behind work. Pull up the new color from the yarn hanging in front...

colorchangeworkstitchinnewcolor
3>>>insert your hook under the "tail" of the new color, through both top bars of the stitch to be worked, yarn over, and pull up a loop of the new color...this completely anchors the "tail"...finish stitch.

colorchange2stitchesaway
4>>>take into account the action going on in the old row and the new row...when you come to a color change in the old row, but you still need to work stitches in an active color...

colorchangeanchortail2sts
5>>>slip the yarn from the upcoming color behind your hook, insert your hook into the next stitch...

colorchangepullupoldcolor
6>>>pull up the old color and work the stitch, continuing working over the "new" color yarn until you come to the stitch where it will be needed, then follow steps one through three.

Now if you have a color change that comes before the change in the old row, you will follow the same basic steps, anchoring your 'tail' before pulling up the old color loop, and finishing the stitch with the new color.

I hope to have a video of this technique very soon, as it is sort of difficult to explain in words! Pin It

3 comments:

Louise said...

That should look great once it's done. I've sadly never been able to get my head round crocheting with more than one colour at once. Any pointers?

Amy said...

I figured out a little trick for carrying the color without cutting the yarns...it is kind of hard to explain in words, so I'll have my daughter take some action pics later to illustrate. I'm really loving the technique, though, as the color looks finished on both sides...not at all like any color work I have done before in crochet or knit...

Louise said...

Thanks for the tips - I'll use the instructions and give it a go. I like the idea of it looking finished on both sides - I'll let you know how I get on with your instructions!

Thanks again!